Welcome to the website of the
Auckland Cathedral of St Patrick and St Joseph.
In 1838 Bishop Jean Baptist Pompallier celebrated Mass for the very first time in this land of Aotearoa New Zealand. He was welcomed into the home of early settlers Thomas and Mary Poynton who were farming on the northern shores of the Hokianga harbour (about five hours drive north of Auckland).
This year 2013 we celebrate 175 years of the Eucharist. 175 years of coming together around the table of the Lord to be nourished by WORD and SACRAMENT.
Not long after the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840 Bishop Pompallier travelled south to Auckland. In 1841 he received a grant of land from Governor Hobson for a Catholic church here in Wyndham Street. A small wooden church school was erected in 1842 and was soon replaced by a substantial stone church which became New Zealand's first Cathedral Church in 1848.
The Cathedral is the Mother church of the Catholic Diocese of Auckland, attracting thousands each week who seek the abiding presence of the Lord. May the Lord continue to bless our endeavours and may your visit to this very sacred place, in turn, be blessed.
Having just celebrated PENTECOST may we be aware of the life of the HOLY SPIRIT we share!
Veni Sancte Spiritus!
+Patrick Dunn, Bishop of Auckland