Please note that the Square is owned by Auckland Council and NOT the Church. It is designated a pedestrian mall and parking is not permitted. The few carparks outside the Cathedral are reserved for disabled or authorised parking only. Cars parked illegally can be fined or towed by Council traffic wardens. This ensures the safety of pedestrians in the Square, particularly for families with children.
We are very grateful to Wilson’s Parking for their assistance with parking nearby the Cathedral.
Hobson Street Carpark
The Wilson’s Hobson Street Car Park uses a quick and simple license-plate scanning system – you will see the usual parking meters inside the entrances of the carpark. If you are attending Mass or special events at the Cathedral, we recommend using the ParkMate App instead. The Cathedral has exclusive 3hr discounted parking after 6pm weekdays and all weekend, if using this App.
$4.50 parking fee is available after 6pm Monday to Friday and all weekend. This is valid for 3 hours and can be extended. Casual Rates apply thereafter.
Instructions for using the Hobson Street Carpark Parkmate App
- First, Download the App onto your phone from Apple Store or GooglePlay
This can be done at home.
- Set up your account, including License Plate and Payment Method.
- Find Farmers WP98 on the Map (corner 31 Hobson St and Wyndham St).
- Make it your Favourite by using the icon.
- Enter your Promocode (discount) STPATS. This will reduce the fee from $15 to $4.50.
- For help setting up your account, please email email@example.com
- For Wilsons on-site help, phone: xxx
Once you have set up your account on your phone, the App will be ready to go.
- When you have arrived and parked your vehicle, log in and click on your Favourites icon.
You do not need to use the parking machines in the carpark if using the App.
- The carpark camera will scan your number-plate as you enter and exit to record your session.
- Notifications. You can choose when the App alerts you before your carpark session expires.
Casual rates apply after 3 hours.
- You may need to re-select the Promocode STPATS, and a Session, if you have promocodes for other Wilson’s Carparks.
- Scroll down to the bottom of your screen and click the button Confirm and Start Parking.
Durham Lane Carpark
(Entrance via Durham Lane from Queen Street)
$3 discounted parking fee for 3hrs, from 6pm Monday to Friday and all weekend,
if ticket is validated at the Cathedral. Casual Rates apply thereafter.
There is no Parkmate App Promocode for the Cathedral.
This carpark still uses the paper ticketing system. Please bring your ticket to the Cathedral to receive the discounted fee of $3. The Cathedral has a ticket validator for this carpark by the noticeboards in the entrance foyer. When leaving the carpark, take your ticket straight to the exit to put in the ticket machine which lifts the barrier arm as you are leaving.
Weddings: Wilsons have extended discounted parking at either car park to cover weddings on Saturdays, and weekday evening church functions (only after 6.30pm). Please enquire to arrange when booking your wedding.
Here is a link to a Journey Planner.
- Walk: The Cathedral is a short walk from Auckland’s major downtown hotels and local apartments.
- Cycle: Bicycles can be secured against the stone walls on either side of the main doors of the church.
- Taxi and Uber: To save the hassle of trying to find a car park for a private vehicle.
- Bus: The Auckland central business district is well served by bus transport from all outlying Auckland suburbs. You can zoom in on this map and see the Cathedral (corner Wyndam/Hobson Streets on the green bus-route)
- Ferry: Ferry transport is available from the North Shore (Devonport and Northcote), the eastern suburbs (Half Moon Bay) and Waiheke Island. Ferries arrive at the Downtown Ferry Terminal, a ten-minute walk to the Cathedral.
- Train: The Britomart Train Station is located downtown and is within a 10 minute walk of the Cathedral.
- Street Parking: Some metered street parking is available on Swanson Street, Federal Street and other surrounding streets.
- Parking Garages: There are two parking garages, with a total capacity of over 1000 vehicles, located within 100m of the Cathedral.
- Parking for Weddings, Baptisms, Funerals: You are able to avail yourself of the parking at Wilson’s Carpark for weddings, baptisms and funerals held on SATURDAY. (See the Wilson’s Parkmate App information above)
Reconciliation, evening Masses, Diocesan Masses, and other special events at the Cathedral. Discounted parking at Hobson St and Federal Street carparks is available after 6pm weekdays and during the weekends.